New site for Immigration help in Utah

Another web site to help you  fill out paperwork? Not exactly, there are many of those out there. Our site gives you options of reading or listening to advice from people that have been through the process.

Many people try to charge large amounts of money or tell people that they are notaries which in another country may be something quite different from what our notaries do yet they end up charging them money for services that a lawyer should be doing.  We don't do this, we give some advice but rather than advice we make suggestions and we tell you to verify everything we suggest with your lawyer first. If you go into your lawyer prepared it will make it easier for him or her to do their job for you. or

We are not lawyers although we have filed 29 forms and have some experience in the procedures. Our advice is easy to follow and what we do advocate is that you do get a lawyer although we give you steps you can follow on how to prepare so when you do meet with your lawyer you will have most of the information that your lawyer will need so you will waste less time on appointments with the lawyer. Most good lawyers charge around $200 per hour. If your lawyer does not have allot of experience with immigration law I would suggest paying a bit more in order to have an experienced lawyer. Ask around and check their references. Make sure they have passed the BAR in UTAH and are licensed to practice in Utah.

Immigration cases can be very complicated and no two are exactly alike therefore it is best to start on step one and move forward with a plan. Make sure you know if your lawyer will take payments because some will and some won't. Many will make you sign a $5000 dollar contract or other amount.

1. Start saving so when you need a lawyer you will have money in the bank.

2. Always drive with a current Utah Permission card and current insurance.

3. Take English classes and save your certificates. Any other community volunteer certificates or class certificates also can help in many immigration cases.

4. Get all your documents together and make copies for your lawyer, keep a copy at a trusted friend's or family member's home and keep a copy for yourself.

Documents include things like:

A. Marriage certificates (Include pictures of the two of you dating and the marriage and after)

B. Birth Certificates(From the US and from other countries, may have to get family to help you get these)

C. Current passports (You may need to go to your consulate to get these showing your current Birth Certificates, it is a good idea to ask for a consulate ID as well which is normally 15 or 20 dollars) The passports are normally around $100. Having current documents can save you valuable time when you need them if they are already ordered or done.

D. Social Security Cards for the children and other adults

E. Church documentation such as baptisms, first communion,certificates of participation, letters from church leaders saying how long you have been active in their parish or church etc..

F. Letters from Friends and neighbors saying how long they have known you and have them include character references. It is best to have these letters notarized. Normally a bank will charge you $1 dollar each document so don't pay large amounts to have papers notarized.

G. Background checks - include both local and FBI if you have them. Here in Utah they do a BCI check where they take your fingerprints and provide you with a local/area check where they will show that you don't have any pending tickets or problems with the law etc....

H. Police reports including citations and receipts showing you have paid your tickets. If there were problems with say for example a DUI and you paid the tickets then you should also include any certificates for special programs you had to attend such as AA meeting or counselors etc....Don't try to hide things.

NOTE: Leaving these things out of your submission may not disqualify your form but having them in there won't hurt your case either. If you are the provider for the family and you are deported how will your family survive when you are gone? Including a personal statement is also recommended. Always tell the truth and keep the statement clear and not to long otherwise it may not be read at all. Don't make excuses but own up to what you have done and take responsibility.

Once you talk to your lawyer he or she will help you decide which forms will be best to file first. The I-130 can be filed if your husband or wife is a US Citizen and it can also be used for other family members as well such as children when they are 21 can use the same form to petition their parents. Understand that filing this form and others can also be a red flag and cause ICE or USCIS to know where you are and could lead to deportation. You have to ask your lawyer about the risks and the pros and cons to filing the forms. Each form normally has a cost associated with them as well so check the current prices on