Hispanic CERT Class graduates in Salt Lake City
The 18th of April the most recent Spanish CERT class graduated from a 7 week disaster preparation course that will help the community in the event of an emergency. In some areas of the City the Hispanic population is so dense that not having Spanish speaking emergency workers could really be a burden.
Students learned skills and practiced their abilities the following areas:
1. Fire suppression (small fires using fire extinguishers)
2. Cribbing (Apalancamiento) to lift heavy objects of people that are trapped.
3. Disaster Organization - How to set up a command center and begin making assignments and delegate.
4. First Aid - Stopping the bleeding, opening the airway and treating for shock. We focused on these major areas and also touched on burns and other aspects as well.
5. Additional class material on terrorism, disaster philology etc...